Dr. K.S Devaky
||Dr. K S Devaky
School Of Chemical Sciences
Mahatma Gandhi University
M.Sc., Ph.D. (University of Calicut)
Departmet of applied Chemistry, CUSAT
Areas of Research
Solid phase synthesis of bioactive peptides,
Polymer supported reagents and catalysts,
Solid phase synthesis of substituted heterocycles
Biological and corrosion studies of heterocyclic compounds
Controlled drug delivery using immobilized enzyme
DST project titled “Synthesis of Diazepam Binding Inhibitor (Human) Fragment 51-70 using a flexible Butanediol Dimethacrylate crosslinked Polystyrene support”
Completed- 16, ongoing – 4
M. Phil. – 17
Papers published in peer reviewed journals
- Optimistic exploitation of Poly(3-hexyl thiophene-benzothiadiazole) D-A copolymer for low Voc loss bulk heterojunction solar cells: Geethu R, Sona Narayanan, Santhosh M.V, P. Vijayakumar, K.S. Devaky, and K. Sreekumar, Optical Materials,129(11), 112481, (2022). doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2022.112481, IF 3.08
- Chitosan-based films in drug delivery applications: Divya Radha, Jisha S. Lal, and S. Devaky, Starch, April16, 2022 doi.org/10.1002/star.202100237. ISSN: 0038-9056, IF 2.741.
- Highly atom efficient synthesis of 2,2,4,5-tetrasubstituted 3(2H)-furanones having both hydroxyl and amino substituents: Jesna Antony , Sumi P. Musthafa , Rakesh Natarajan, Sindhu Mathai , Karakkattu S. Devaky , and John P. Rappai. Synthetic Communications, org/10.1080/00397911.2022.2036347, ISSN: 0039-7911 IF 2.007.
- A High Yielding Protocol for the Synthesis of 4,5‐Diarylpyrimidin‐2‐amine derivatives from Chalcones: Krishnaraj K. U., Menon K. Prasanth, George Clair Scholly, Sajesh P Thomas and S. Devaky, J. Heterocyclic Chemistry , September 2021. DOI: 10.1002/jhet.4369. ISSN: 1943-5193. IF 2.193.
- A novel, facile, and efficient two-step hydrothermal route for WS2 nanosheets and its optimistic exposure as competent industrial-level sonocatalyst: M VSanthosh, R Geethu and K S Devaky, J Mater Sci: Mater Electron, March 15, 2021, doi.org/10.1007/s10854-021-05599-x. ISSN: 0957-4522. IF 2.220
- Synthesis, crystal structure and electron density analysis of a sulfanyl 2-pyridone analogue: Tautomeric preference and conformation locking by S•••O chalcogen bonding: Prasanth K Menon, K U Krishnaraj, E. R. Anabha, K S Devaky, Sajesh P Thomas, J. Mol. Struct. 2020, DOI.org/1016/j.molstruc.2020. 128798, ISSN: 00222860. IF : 2.121.
- Hydrothermal synthesis of WO3 nanoparticles: Characterization and sonocatalytic study, MVSanthosh, K.S.Devaky and M K Jayaraj, Materials Today: Proceedings 2020, DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2019.12.418, ISSN: 2214-7853.
- Microwave Assisted Synthesis of Tri Substituted Pyridine-3-Carbonitrile Derivatives Using 3-Aminobut-2-enenitrile,Ashly Thomas and K S Devaky,J. Chem. Pharm. Res.11(9), 1- 6 (2019), ISSN: 0975-7384.
- Solid phase synthesis and solution conformation of two overlapping fragments of SPFE peptide using 2D-NMR; P.N. Sunilkumar, C. Sadasivan, K S Devaky and M Haridas, Ind. J. Chem. 58B, 714-719 (2019). ISSN: 0376-4699.
- Design, synthesis and characterization of enzyme-analogue-built polymer catalysts as artificial hydrolases:Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky,Artif Cells Nanomed. Biotechnol. DOI: 10.1080/21691401.2019.1576703.(2019),47, 1149-1172.ISSN: 2169-1401, IF 6.355.
- Advances in solid phase synthesis of pyrimidine derivatives: E. P Aparnaand K. S. Devaky,ACS Com. Sci.DOI:10.1021/acscombsci.8b00172 (2019), 21, 35-68..ISSN: 2156-8952, IF 3.5.
- Microwave Assisted Solid Phase Synthesis of Trisubstituted Pyrimidines: E. P Aparna and K. S. Devaky, J. Chem. Pharm. Res.10(8), 67-72 (2018), ISSN: 0975-7384.
- Low Band Gap Donor-Acceptor PhenothiazineCopolymer with Triazine Segment: Design,Synthesis and Application for Optical LimitingDevices: Sona Narayanan, Anshad Abbas, C. SudhaKartha, RaniJoseph, K.S. Devaky and KrishnapillaiSreekumar, Journal of Luminescence, 198 (2018) 449–456.ISSN 0953-4075, IF 2.686.
- Biomimetic recognition and peptidase activities of transition state analogue imprinted chymotrypsin mimics: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky,React. Funct.Polym. 124 (2018) 21-128. ISSN: 1381-5148, IF. 3.151.
- Geometrical effect of 3D-memory cavity on the imprinting efficiency of transition state analogue built artificial hydrolases: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky,Polymer Bulletin, 75(9), 3883–3896 (2018).ISSN: 0170-0839, IF 1.430.
- Transition state analogue imprinted polymers as artificial amidases for amino acid p-nitroanilides: Morphological effects of polymer network on catalytic efficiency: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky,Artif Cells Nanomed.Biotechnol.46,(8), 1830–1837,(2018) ISSN:2169-1401, IF 3.026.
- Catalytic amidolysis of amino acid p-nitroanilides using transition state analogue imprinted artificial enzymes: – Cooperative effect of pyridine moiety: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas Christy Philip, E. P AparnaandK. S. Devaky, Bioorganic Chemistry74 (2017) 91–103. ISSN: 0045-2068, IF 3.231.
- Multiwalled carbon nanotubes with surface grafted transition state analogue imprints as chymotrypsin mimics for the hydrolysis of amino acid esters: Synthesis and kinetic studies: Christy Philip and K.S. Devaky,Molecular Catalysis 436 (2017) 276–284.ISSN: 2468-8231. IF- 4.397.
- Effect of reaction conditions in the reduction of carbonyl group using polymer anchored Ethylenediamine–Borane reducing agent: K. Rajasree, E. P Aparna andK. S. Devaky, J. Chem. Pharm. Res. 9(1), 54-60 (2017).ISSN: 0975-7384. IF- 0.543.
- Phosphonate TSA-built macromatric polymer catalysts aschymotrypsin mimics for the amidolysis of amino acid p-nitroanilides:-Effect of the nature and extent of crosslinker on amidase activities: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky, Polymer, 111, 285-296(2017).ISSN: 0032-3861. IF- 3.684.
- Anti-Inflammatory activity of novel series of isoniazid derivatives, B. Thomas, J. Harindran, K. S. Devaky,Pharma Innovation Journal5(10), 01-11, (2016). ISSN: 2277-7695.IF- 0.565.
- Amidase activity of phosphonate TSA-built polymer catalysts derived from organic monomers in the amidolysis of amino acid p-nitroanilides, Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky,Appl. Catal. A:General 528, 93-103 (2016). ISSN: 0926-860X,IF- 4.339.
- Polymer-supported benzyltributylammoniumborohydrides: Effect of nature of crosslinking and spacer group in reduction reactions, K.S. Devak andP.N. Leelamma,J. Chem. Pharm. Res.8(4), 704-713(2016).ISSN: 0975-7384. IF- 0.543.
- Amidase activity of phosphonate analogue imprinted chymotrypsin mimics in shape-selective, substrate – specific and enantioselectiveamidolysis of L-phenylalanine p-nitroanilides,Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky, J. Mol. Catal. A: Chemical415 (2016) 65–73. ISSN: 1381-1169,IF-3.958.
- Amidolysis of phenylalanine-p-nitroanilide using TSA imprinted macromatric polymer catalysts: Effect of porogen on catalytic efficiency, Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky, J. Chem. Pharm. Res.7(6):573-583 (2015). ISSN: 0975-7384. IF- 0.543.
- Synthesis of 2-Hydroxy-5,6-diarylnicotinonitriles and 2-Chloro-5,6-diarylnicotinonitriles from β-Chloroenones: K. U. Krishnaraj and K.S. Devaky, Tetrahedron 70(37),6450-6456 ( 2014).ISSN: 0040-4020, IF- 2.899.
- A Facile one-pot synthesis of chloropyridines from chalcones: Prasanth K. Menon and K. U. Krishnaraj and Sholly C. George, K. S. Devaky and E.R.Anabha, J. Heterocyclic Chemistry 51(5),1385-1389 ( 2014). ISSN: 1943-5193, IF- 0.873.
- A facile method for the synthesis of aroylpyrazoles from functionalized ketene dithioacetals, N.K.Sreedevi, K. S. Devaky and E.R.Anabha, J. Heterocyclic Chemistry 51(3), 562-565 (2014). ISSN: 1943-5193, IF- 0.873.
- Enantioselectivity of chymotrypsin mimic in amidolysis of dipeptides: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky: ALPHOMINE, International Journal, Part A-Sciences, 2(3), 52-58, (2014). ISSN: 2250-3870.
- Synthesis of 2,3,5-trisubstituted furans from α-formylaroyl ketenedithioacetals; K.A. Sasikala, K.A. Kalesh, E.R. Anabha, P. MadhavanPillai, C.V. Asokanand K.S. Devaky,Tetrahedron Letters, 52,1667-1669(2011).ISSN: 0040-4039, IF-2.683.
- Synthesis and conformation of a hexapeptide fragment (3-8) of SPF peptide by NMR and restrained molecular dynamics; P.N. Sunilkumar, C. Sadasivan, K.S. Devaky and M.Haridas, Ind. J. Chem. 48B, 1294-1298 (2009). ISSN: 0975-0983, IF-0.489.
- Synthesis of polymer-supported quaternary ammonium salts and their phase transfer catalytic activity in halogenation reactions: P.N. Leelamma and K.S. Devaky, J.Appl. Polym.. Sci. 112, 2750-2756 (2009). ISSN: 1097-4628, IF-1.203.
- The reaction of 2-aroyl-3,3-bis(alkylsulfanyl)acrylaldehydes and hydroxylamine hydrochloride: Facile synthesis of differently substituted isoxazoles: Annie Mathews, Karunalayam A. Sasikala, Sholly C. George, Kooramattom U. Krishnaraj, Naduthottiyil K. Sreedevi, MarathuPrasanth, Engoor R. Anabha, Karakkattu S. Devaky,Chittoorthekkathil V. Asokan, J. Heterocyclic Chemistry 45, 1583-1587(2008).ISSN: 1943-5193, IF-1.009.
- Conformation of a residue substituted fragment (349-364) of human lactoferrin protein in DMSO-d6 by 1H NMR and restrained molecular dynamics: P.N. Sunilkumar, C. Sadasivan, K. S. Devaky and M.Haridas,Ind. J. Biochem.Biophys. 45, 51-56 (2008). ISSN:0975-0959, IF-0.579.
- Simple methods to synthesize 2-pyridones: reactions of 2-aroyl-3,3-bis(alkylsulfanyl)-acrylaldehydes and cyanoacetamide: Annie Mathews, E.R.Anabha, K.A.Sasikala,K.C.Lathesh, K.U.Krishnaraj, K.N.Sreedevi, M..Prasanth, .K. S. Devaky and C.V.Asokan, Tetrahedron 64, 1671-1675 (2008). ISSN: 0040-4020, IF-2.897.
- Conformation of an octapeptidefragment(2-9) of kaliocin-1 in DMSO-d6 by 1H NMR and restrained molecular dynamics: P.N. Sunilkumar, C. Sadasivan, K.S. Devaky and M.Haridas,Ind. J. Biochem.Biophys. 44, 44-49 (2007).ISSN:0975-0959, IF-1.08.
- Solid phase synthesis and solution structural studies of a 20-mer peptide: Diazepam binding Inhibitor (human) 51-70. P. K Ajikumar, S. Vivekanandan, S. D Jois and K. S. Devaky, Biopolymers 71(3),363 (2003). ISSN: 1097-0282, IF- 2.879.
- Conformational analysis of sea cucumber (CaudinaArenicola) C- globin 94-97 fragment, Pro-Glu-Leu-Leu : P.N. Sunilkumar, K. S. Devaky, C. Sadasivan and M. Haridas, Protein Peptide Lett. 9(5), 403-409 (2002).ISSN: 0929-8665, ISSN: 1875-5305. IF- 1.069.
- Effect of polymer characteristics on Beckmann rearrangement of polymer-supported ketoximes: Shiney Baby and K.S. Devaky, Polymer International 51(12), 1411-1416 (2002).ISSN: 1097-0126, IF- 2.414.
- Polymer-supported ethylenediamine-boranereagent: A new class of polymeric reducing Agents: K. Rajasree and K.S. Devaky, J. Appl. Polym.. Sci. 7, 593-600 (2001). ISSN: 1097-4628, IF-1.008.
- Solid phase synthesis of hydrophobic difficult sequence peptides on a BDDMA-PS support: P.K. Ajikumar and K.S. Devaky, J. Peptide. Sci7, 641-649 (2001).ISSN: 1099-1387, IF-1.768.
- EGDMA-crosslinkedpolystyrene resin: an efficient support for gel-phase peptide synthesis: P.K. Ajikumar and K.S. Devaky, Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci.112, 465-474 (2000). ISSN. 0370-0097, IF 1.22.
- Optimisation of butanediol dimethacrylate crosslinked polystyrene support: A novel polymeric support for peptide synthesis: P.K. Ajikumar and K.S. Devaky, Letters in Pept. Sci. 7, 207-215 (2000). ISSN: 0929-5666, IF 0.651.
- Solid phase synthesis of Diazepam Binding Inhibitor(Human) fragments 32-38 and 45-50 on a flexible butanediol dimethacrylate crosslinked polystyrenes: P.K. Ajikumar and K.S. DevakyInd. J. Chem. 38B, 783-788 (1999). ISSN: 0975-0983,IF0.489.
- Effect of macromolecular character and extent of crosslinking on the reactivity of attached amino groups in crosslinked polyacrylamide: K.S. Devaky, Benny.K.George and V.N.R. Pillai, Ind. J. Chem. Section- B. 29 A, 1045(1990). ISSN: 0975-0983,IF 0.489.
- Synthesis of amides and peptides using polymer-bound mixed carboxylic dithiocarbamic anhydrides: K.S. Devaky and V.N.R. Pillai, Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. (Chemical Sciences),102, 521-533 (1990). ISSN. 0370-0097, IF 1.18.
- Selective conversion of chloromethyl and bromomethyl groups to aminomethyl groups in multifunctional crosslinked polystyrenes: K.S. Devaky and V.N.R. Pillai,Eur. Polym. J. 24, 209-213(1988). ISSN • 0014-3057,IF 2.562, ISSN • 0014-3057.
Papers published in national journals
1.Substrate specific amidolysis of p-nitroanilides of amino acids using phosphonate analogue imprinted chymotrypsin mimics: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky, SB Academic Review, 19 (2016) 41-49.
2. Polymer supported benzyl quaternary ammonium dichromate reagent as a versatile oxidizingagent for the oxidation of diphenylcarbinol: Benny Thomas, Divya Mathew and K. S. Devaky,SB Academic Review, 19 (2016) 31-40.
3. Catalytic studies of TSA-imprinted polymer catalysts for the hydrolysis of amino acid Esters: Christy Philip and K.S. Devaky, AURIOLE, St. Stephens Journal of Multidisciplinary studies and Research, Vol.VII, p 46-62, (2015). ISSN: 2249-786.
4. Kinetic study on the memory effect of transition state analogue imprinted enzyme mimics in the hydrolysis of aminoprotectedphenylalanylglycine: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky, BHARATA MATA Journal of multidisciplinary studies, 1, 11-18 (2014). ISSN: 2348-3571.
1. Carbon Nanotubes for a Greener Environment, in: Carbon Nanotubes, Functionalisation and Potential Applications, Divya Radha, Rakesh N, M.V Santhosh, K S Devaky and Sam John, ed: Ann Rose Abraham, Soney C George, A K Haghi, January 2022, DOI: 10.1201/9781003277194-2, ISBN: 9781 7746 38576.
2. General Applications of XLPE Nanocomposites and Blends in: Crosslinkable Polyethylene Based Blends and Nanocomposites, Divya Radha, Jisha S. Lal, K. Asha Krishnan and K.S. Devaky, April 2021. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-16-0486-7-5
3. Green Catalysis, Green Chemistry, and Organic Syntheses for Sustainable Development In: Chemistry and Chemical Engineering for Sustainable Development, Benny Thomas, Divya Mathew and K. S. Devaky; September 2020. DOI: 10.1201/9780367815967-6.
4. Application of Green Technology for Energy Conservation and Sustainable Development In: Chemistry and Chemical Engineering for Sustainable Development, E. P. Aparna and K. S. Devaky; September 2020 DOI: 10.1201/9780367815967-12
5. Nature’s Green Catalyst for Environmental Remediation, Clean Energy Production, and Sustainable Development In: In: Chemistry and Chemical Engineering for Sustainable Development; Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky September 2020. DOI:
Papers published in conference proceedings
1. Stereoselective amidase activities of polymer catalyst imprinted with transition state analogue for amidolysis of amino acid anilides: Divya Mathew, Benny Thomas and K. S. Devaky, Proceedings of the International Conference on Materials for the Millennium, Cochin University of Science & Technology, Kochi, January 14-16, 2016, p 168-171. ISBN: 978-93-80095-738.
2. Polymer-bound ammonium dichromate reagent as a versatile oxidizing agent for the oxidation of phenylalanine to phenylacetaldehyde: Benny Thomas, Divya Mathew and K. S. Devaky, Proceedings of the International Conference on Materials for the Millennium, Cochin University of Science & Technology, Kochi, January 14-16, 2016, p 171-173. ISBN: 978-93-80095-738.
3. Preparation and catalytic activity of Transition State Analogue (TSA) imprinted polymer for the hydrolysis of amino acid esters: Christy Philip and K.S. Devaky ,Proceedings of the 23rd Swadeshi Science Congress, Kottayam November , (2013) .
Participation in Training/Workshop
- Five day online FDP on outcome-based education organized bvy IQAC, Mahatma Gandhi University during August 27-31, 2022.
- Five day workshop on outcome-based education organized bvy IQAC, Mahatma Gandhi University in association with IIT, Chennai during February 3-7, 2020.
- Chaired a session in the national Seminar RACS 2020 at School of Chemical Sciences, February 7-8 2020.
- One day Orientation Programme on “Digital Learning through SWAYAM” for faculty members organised by Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam on 15th November, 2019.
- One day training cum production workshop on Objective Evaluation in Higher Education for the faculty organised by the Internal Quality Assurance Cell, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam on 1st February,2019.
- One day workshop on NAAC accreditation process held at School of Pure and Applied Physics, M. G. University, conducted by IQAC of Mahatma Gandhi University on 12th April 2019.
- Four day online training programme NAAC accreditation conducted by IQAC of Mahatma Gandhi University in May 2021.